2002 Chevy Malibu
Here you can see my new ''official car'',a 2002 Malibu which I bought brand new in October 2001. As of 5/12/02 this car now has over 11,000 miles on it and I hope it holds up as well as my Century did. Again, I have added some extras in addition to the factory installed options. Here is a breakdown:
My add ons
- CB radio
- PA system with 58 watt speaker
- rear deck HALOGEN flasher
- complete selection of rock and metal CD's
- kick ass sound system
- 4 wheel independant suspension
- gets 26 MPG
- quick and responsive
- the drivers side seat belt is garbage! The thing does not always retract and often gets caught in the door when I get out. The little plastic ''stopper'' that is supposed to keep the belt buckle from sliding down broke the first month I had the car
- the gas tank is more suited to Geo Metro than a full size Malibu. Though the car gets good gas milage, I have to get gas once a week; the range on a tank of gas is between 280-300 miles
- the low profile 15'' tires are junky firestone rejects and I had my first flat 3 weeks after buying the car
- the shifter is slow to respond when shifting into reverse
- July 28,2002....15,500 mile update: goodbye antenna!! Yup, can you believe it? The ariel was on the car when I set out on a small journey in Queens and when I arrived at my destination it was gone. NO, no one stole it. The base is still there--the mast just snapped off! For no good reason it sheared off near the base. Oh GM quality is fading fast....
- July 28, 2002...15,500 miles.The standard issue bolt on hubcaps look great--see pics above--but they are noisy as hell. The centercaps are fine but the wheelcovers themselves flex against the steel wheel so when you hit a manhole or bump in the road the noise drowns out the cd player :-( Easy fix-- I replaced the plastic OEM wheelcovers with METAL OEM Chevy wheelcovers from an old 70's model--see pic below. The look good, fit great and make no noise. Yaay!
- December 29,2002.The left front door creaks when being opened.It sounds more like the door of a 20 year old car than that of a 1 year old car. Oh yeah I will oil it, but still this just should not be.Mileage now: 23,400
- January 22,2003. I should have addressed this sooner, but the automatic door lock switch is in a piss poor position and can easily be accidentally set to lock when exiting the vehicle. Now the problem is, suppose its wintertime and you get out of the car with it running? The windows are all up so you will be locked out! Yes, this happened to me one Sunday morning at 7am on the George Washington Bridge of all places. Ugh! There is never a cop around when you need one...
- March 2003....What happened to my brakes? You must have seen them cause I dont have them anymore! Thats right, the car is only a little over a year old and the brakes have failed. I returned it to the dealer and they replaced a faulty check valve on the booster and that fixed the problem.I asked them to repair the seat belts as well, but all they did was put on a new button and since the belt wont retract the button lasted 3 days as it got caught in the door with the buckle and got ripped off once again. I guess it's just not meant to be...
- June 2003.....more brake trouble.Well this is to be expected though, just replaced 2 front rotors [warped] and pads. Result? Car stops fine but brakes emit a weird sound,not the normal squealing you usually get but more of a ''moaning'' sound. Also, one hubcap damaged by STS technician. He bent it so badly I had to take it home and bang it back into shape in order to install it.They made good for it though.....Not exactly a confidence builder though....
- July 2003...installed a double toggle switch w/ on/off indicator lights for my rear deck flasher and my cb. Oh yeah!
- July 11,2004.I can't see whats behind me..cause some jerk stole my LS door mirror!! Yeah. Can you believe it? This hapened in broad daylight in the parking lot of Orchard Beach in the Bronx NY. I am in the process os looking for a replacement. Stay tuned.
- July 15,2004. I cruised the South Bronx today in search of a replacement mirror. My friend Louis works in the area and gave me a few ideas where to try. He gave me his card and told me that I would have to use his name in order to be admitted in a few of the more questionable establishments.That being said, I managed to get my mirror at the second place on my list.There was a ''steerer'' working in front of one place and he told me they could cut a mirror to fit my particular car for $20. Well ok he started at $30, I got him down to $20 and they did the job. Looks great,fits fine. Hope they dont pry this one off :-)
10/21/02 Well I finally did it this time. I got my first dent :-(
This is what happens when you hit an el pillar while trying to parallel park in a tight spot:
Yes, yes. I know what you are thinking. I so suck at parking. Hey what can I say? I mean at least I'm consistant.Anyhow, not much to say except I now have 20,400 miles and I figured this might be a good time to tell you what my friends think of my car. So here are their names and what they had to say about my little emergency vehicle:
Dateline: 1/7/04.....milage 43,500. Stay tuned for some more updates
- Rick: ''this car will never last.its a tin can''
- Scott L: ''what did you buy this piece of sh** for?''
- Scott A: ''coolzie. neato"
- Orlando: ''you are a typical white boy"
- Dwayne: ''I hate those bottlecap hubcaps''
- Louis: ''oh my God! what did you buy that for? thats an OLD MAN'S car''
3/25/04 milage:48,390 I bought 2 new front tires today @ 60$ each.Thats with my discount.Hope these get as many miles as the last 2
Above, you can see the ''new look'' for September 2004,with 56,800 miles and going strong
The 8 days of Rain October 7th-14th 2005 caused alot of floods, and worse. I managed to keep driving to a minimum however I did encounre some misfortune myself. While driving in Sommerville NJ, I was heading south in th left lanf and hit a pothole that I did not see. It wasn't very big, but it was really deep.I knew when i hit it that it was a deep one, but not until I got home did I realize it bent both my rims on the passenger side :-( Here are the pics for your perusal:
Above, the front wheel
Above, the rear wheel
June 4th,2006...the end of a legacy. Jesus bloomin christ!! For the second time in my life, some idiot blasted into my car while it was parked and totalled it
The damage is alot worse then it looks. The frame is bent, the trunk wont close and the LR door won't open.The exhaust is loud and hanging off the car. I just dont god dam get it. I have taken really good care of my last 2 cars only to have them totalled out by nimrods who just dont pay attention to the road.
Jan 1 2007: Happy new year everyone! I haven't updated this page for awhile so I will right now. Last month the Malibu clicked over 100,000 miles! There may be a shortage of crow in the northeast, as 2 people had to eat generous helpings of it. First there was my brother Rick, who doubted the car would last 80,000 miles. Secondly was Massachusetts's own Scott Anderson, who did not think my car would make 100,00 miles. Eat up boys, there's plenty for both of you :-)
July 23,2007: Haven't posted in awhile cause nothing much as happened. Mileage is now 108,000 and still chugging along :-)
October 23,2007: The Mally passed inspection! Went right through, 111,300 miles.Yaay!
December 31,2007....it happened again! the same exact thing as last year. jesus bloomin christ this is getting ridiculous. This morning, I was on my way to work at 8am driving on Kinderkamack Road and as I was pulling over in front of Ronnie's Bagels WHAM! I was rear ended by a driver who fell asleep. I mean no one was on the road at that hour on the day before NYD and Rip Van Winkle still finds me anyhow and totals me out. Can you believe it? The damage is the exact same place as last time. I take care of my cars and while I am a fast driver I am proud to say my last 3 cars were all over 100,000 miles and dent free yet each vehicle was then totaled by some idiot who was not watching where he was going. This time I was in the car and was injured. I will update you later this week as to the disposition of the case.
Update Feb 2008: the phoenix has once again risen from the ashes. I am going to keep fixing this car, I will never get rid of it cause a lot of people I know want me to ^-^ Here are some pics of a "cheapie" repair job done by the gypsies
October 28,2009...passed inspection yaay!
****The 2002 Malibu is no more. She was retired in June 2011 with 164,500 miles on her. My new car is a 2011 Malibu